Canal du Midi
The Canal du Midi, also called the two seas canal connects the Garonne to the Mediterranean. It provides a waterway connecting the Atlantic to the Mediterranean. It was built in the seventeenth century, under the supervision of Pierre-Paul Riquet Biterrois. Appointed then « Canal Royal en Languedoc », it is intended to trade wheat and regarded as the biggest site of the century.
Renamed Canal du Midi after the revolution of 1789, it is now the oldest canal in Europe still functioning. Since 1996, he was ranked in the list of world heritage by UNESCO.